Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins with a Single Step - Confuscious

After waking up at 8am to make pre-church mimosas for my mother, I decided that I might just have enough stalkers or should be stalkers that I would make a blog for my upcoming travels.  I realize from that first line you may think this girl and her mother are alcoholics and I don't care about her travels, but my mother's not an alcoholic, she's just a therapist. Meanwhile, I'm just a narcissist that thought blogging would be a good way to keep in touch with EVERYONE, while saving money on postcards that will probably never make it. There's a pretty good chance that despite my efforts, no one will ever read this blog and in the likely event that this occurs, it won't be catered for a certain audience. So if you find it too crude or appalling, either keep  it inside like an angsty teenager or shoot me an email and ask me to write you a postcard instead.

For now, here's the plan. In four days, I will get on a plane from Boston to JFK then JFK to Seoul, and Seoul to Cambodia. That's a 26 hour travel day so in case you thought you could bitch to me about your flight to California, don't.  I'll be taking part in the LanguageCorps TESOL Program training in Cambodia for four weeks. During this time I'll be doing my second excursion to Angkor Wat, where I visited  in November of 2010 on the MV Explorer for Semester at Sea. After training I will transfer to Thailand where I plan to teach English for a year. After two weeks of cultural and language training in Pattaya I will start a job in my city of choice in Thailand. This city is unknown as of now because I have no idea where I want to go. So far I'm thinking beaches, which doesn't really narrow it down. My dear mother seems to think I'll be killed by a tsunami or monsoon if I live on the coast, but she also thinks I'll be taken and sold into sex slavery anywhere in the country, so she hasn't narrowed down my options, but I am open to suggestions people. SPOILER ALERT: They are making a Taken 2, no I'm not in it, but Liam Neeson is and hes saving helpless women left and right...yet again. I'm serious.

Anyways, that's the plan and we'll see what happens from here. As of now I am shit-your-pants scared, but I keep thinking that I've done this before and believe it or not I have actually worked my way up to this point with baby steps. First I moved to college in Colorado not knowing anyone ( shout out to Gamma D house and if any of my professors actually read this far I thank you). Then I went on Semester at Sea and lived on a boat for four months traveling to 15 different countries learning how to travel. Now it only seems natural that I would spend time living abroad. Besides, my other option was to live on my parents couch and I'm willing to travel across the world to be unemployed in Thailand rather than in Boston, Mass. 

Okay, I think that's all for now. And this is for anyone who's interested...


Strawberry Lemon Basil Mimosas (recipe courtesy of Giada at Home, photo courtesy of me)

Ingredients
3/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
Juice from 2 large lemons (about 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice)
1/2 cup agave or honey
8 medium fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed and sliced
One 750ml bottle Prosecco, chilled
1/2 cup soda water or sparkling water, chilled

Directions
Combine the basil, lemon juice and agave in a pitcher. Using a wooden spoon, lightly crush the basil. Stir in the strawberries, Prosecco and soda water. Pour into chilled champagne glasses and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Kaytio you are going to do great things abroad! teaching all those little kiddies how to speak english! oh just dont come back with a husband hahaha. oh and i think when you return we need to do botomless mimosas at your house! love and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete