Friday, September 14, 2012

"Walking is Knowing"- Prof. Aguilar


   Today has been my first real day in Cambodia. I didn't go to bed until about 5AM, most likely because my biological clock just isn't ticking like it used to. Just kidding, anyone would be confused after 26 hours of flight time. That said all my planes were on time, my legs aren't broken, and my luggage came through. Anyways, I woke up at 9 (unintentionally) and decided to get started unpacking and take a much needed shower. The shower, toilet and sink are all in one here. That sounds gross, it's not a room with a drain, but what I mean is there is no siding or closing off of the shower theres just a toilet against one wall, a shower head hanging on another, and a sink of the other. Next to the toilet is a sprayer hose, like the kind you have at home next to your kitchen sink, except I'm pretty sure this one is for your asshole. While respectfully withholding from that cultural norm, I had a food science professor on Semester at Sea that told me how other countries find American's use of toilet paper to be disgusting and unsanitary as they perceive it as just smearing shit all over yourself with paper. I'm sure if we thought of it that way too, we might be rather upset by this as well. Anyways, aside from the fear of flooding the entire room I like the shower set up because I don't feel guilty getting water everywhere. After getting out of the shower this morning, it occurred to me that I really should have cut all my hair off, it's just too hot and humid for it here. Then I realized I'd probably be forced to rock the afro I've always wanted if I cut it. We'll see what happens with that.
   Initially this morning I was feeling, not necessarily doubtful or scared but more hesitant about being here.  Actually, I'll just call it what is it, definitely scared.  Anyways the plan for today was to go to the mall, since the driver from last night wanted me to go see it. The driver and the program participant, who teaches kindergarten here, picked me up from the airport. She informed me that they're a couple and after her three month visit home, she will return her to teach indefinitely. Mom and Dad, I hope you're reading this. At twelve o'clock I went into the lobby to find him, but when he wasn't there and the tuk tuk driver didn't know what I was talking about I just decided to walk and find it myself. My art history teacher from SAS told the class one day that "walking is knowing." The man had a point. The sidewalks are crumbled and deteriorated and nearly every five steps a motorbike offered to pick me up. Walking in the street in Southeast Asia is indescribable. Basically, you should just close your eyes and cross the street because either you'll never get the courage to walk across or you'll get hit and die.  Even though walking is a risky en devour, it makes getting on a motorbike look like suicide. There were lots of little stands on the way selling fruit, phone cards, and bagged soda. I'm obsessed with lychee fruit which I came across often, but was hesitant to buy it. Next time though, it's not really a fruit that can be that bad because you peel it, I could be wrong and just end up getting really sick later, but that's for me to know and keep to myself.
   I finally made it to the shopping center and walked all around the shops. Bought a blowdryer for $8 and then thought it would be in my best interest to get familiar with the grocery store. A lot of people warned that I wouldn't be able to get certain things here, but they do have pringles. However, toiletries like face lotion, etc all seem to have whitening components. If this shocks or disturbs you, you should know they sell skin bleach creams in Denver as well, it's no specialty. I passed by a movie store, that included Sexy Man Brad Pitt. I think this must have been a cover for another movie I'd seen, since I've seen nearly all Brad Pitt movies and I wouldn't skip one called Sexy Man...I should probably just go back and buy it. Everyone here is so friendly and a smile is so communicative. It makes me wonder how I'll adjust back when I move to either New York or DC, where smiling at strangers means you're criminally insane. Speaking of which, would anyone mind giving me an update on the Colorado shooting and what's happening with the Trevon Martin case, since the judge was reassigned? I'd appreciate it, thanks.
    By the time I got back to the hotel, a second shower was necessary and I hope this doesn't need to become a habit. However, the rainy season has begun and it is currently down pouring like nothing I have ever seen before. It is literally raining so hard it would wake you up from a deep sleep. Had I went shopping a few hours later I could have gotten my outdoor shower on.


View from my window...

2 comments:

  1. Kaytio Ahhh these posts are hilarious i was laughing out loud. YOLO I miss you so much i'll be reading your blog all the time. Be safe. If you teach at the beach in Thailand I will come visit you...perhaps for our birthdays? Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauro, you should totally come visit. There's a small chance I might be going to the mountains here though, but I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete