Thursday, October 11, 2012

Let's Get On It, or Is It In It?

What the fuck?
         Today was my last full lesson. I taught directions and made everyone direct one another blind folded through the classroom. Afterwards I taught my first successful grammar lesson with past and present tense. It was actually going quite well until one student asked, "Teacher, what is difference between 'at', 'in' and 'on'?" At this point my observer had come in and was sitting in the corner. My heart sank for a moment, but all I could do was laugh because I would have liked nothing more than to avoid that question. AVOID was a new vocab word of the day. So I try and explain the best I can just by giving examples. I tell her she can sit on the table, but she can't sit in it and I can sit in a chair, but if I tried to sit on it I may fall off. Simply put, to be in something means to be inside. One must be surrounded by it, so we sit in chairs. Thinking I can now walk away from this prepositional catastrophe , she says, "what about seats with no back or sides?" "You mean stools?" I ask. "Yes, stools" FUCK.  Stools are technically chairs but you can't sit in a stool, you have to sit on the stool. I explained this which really doesn't make any sense as to why this is the way English speakers speak, but I think by the end she probably understood it more than I did. Anyways, when the class ended more students who were going to be absent Friday brought us gifts. Today I got a picture frame from a student, Malai and we all got invited to lunch after class on Friday. After our Thai test today Charlie, Becca, and I all went and bought gifts for our students, our assistant director Wandee, and the Director. We put together a very large fruit basket, because you can't give alcohol, watches, shoes, or flowers ( not that watches or shoes were ever considered) then something special for the director and Wandee. Hopefully, they like it and I didn't write anything too offensive on our thank you cards. But we will find out tomorrow.

Me and Malai with her gift to me


No comments:

Post a Comment