Friday, February 21, 2014

Quito to Cusco: A Very Long Ride


View from the top of Quito



It sounds mean but I wish people would have more intelligent conversations. Not like every conversation I have is on the verge of enlightenment but people talk about the most useless shit. Talk about the crisis of humanity or better yet a solution. Why isn't anyone talking about solutions to the shit show that is the American education system. Why are we sitting around talking about gluten free bread instead? That said I'm not trying to sound like a complete asshole. Amanda and I also talk about a lot of dumb shit that really doesn't matter. Usually our boobs, but it varies. 

As Amanda and I sit on our 26 hour bus ride through the country side of Ecuador and Peru, she asks me if I think capitalism is on the way out since it's becoming more apparent that we need a different system. We discuss the objectification of artists by media representatives through interviews. Like Russell Brandt's interview and Katie Couric's interview with Lil Wayne. I won't preach to have the upmost respect for celebrities, but I don't agree with being blatantly disrespectful and treating them like circus animals either. They may very we'll be intellectuals if given the time of day.  

We drove for about an hour of straight banana fields and Amanda talked bout the importance of sustainable crops and eating locally. South America is largely responsible for the fruit exports of the world and looking at the banana trees, wondering if that bunch could end up on our kitchen table in a few weeks is a strange thought. We compared the bus rides to the ones in Thailand where between cities you have virtually nothing but scattered houses and fields for miles. We discussed the possible perspective of people living in the country side seeing these tourist buses come through. 

Our last bus which travelled from 10pm to about 5:30am started with Taken 2 in the TV which was quickly switched out to the movie Six Bullets, another movie about child sex trafficking. I found this really weird for a night bus ride with children on it. The prologue which was in English said,"I once saw a child sold for six bullets and I did nothing". I watched the whole movie in Spanish with no subtitles, but I'm pretty sure that never happened. 

The bus to Peru played Clash of the Titans then some horror film at 11pm right before we all went to sleep. Clearly Cruz del Sur the bus company is operating under a zerofucksgiven policy. I had a constant fear of the entire thing tipping every time we turned. 

Seven hours in we've crossed the Peruvian border. The bus has reclining seats, food, a bathroom and wifi...kind of not really.  I've been living off small packages of Oreos for maybe a day and a half. We're estimated to be in Lima for all of 12 hours before we head to Cusco. They ran out of water and are only serving Inca Kola which tastes like a melted down Jolly Ranchers.  After two Advil Pms I'm in a much better mood. The coast of Peru is gorgeous. A strange desert for miles with nothing around which then breaks into cliffs with the ocean on the other side. If you've ever seen the movie Crystal Fairy and the Magical Cactus, which you probably haven't since I know one other person on earth whose seen it, then that's what the coast looks like. Or in short like this...

Peruvian Coastline


We spend maybe 8 hours total in Lima. 5 sleeping the rest packing, repacking, eating pizza and taking showers. Our flight to cusco is easy and they give us chocolate muffins on the plane. We arrive at our house in Cusco and it's very cozy. For the first time since leaving Thailand I can actually unpack. It's glorious. We haven't gotten one night of solid sleep since leaving MedellĂ­n and we immediately nap. Then we venture out for lunch around the Plaza. We were told it was a tourist city, but you wouldn't notice til you get to the square. There's double decker buses and hawkers everywhere. We eat and then explore. I eat some wrap with alpaca, cause it seems fitting. In Ecuador they eat guinea pig. Tomorrow I will look for work. At this moment I don't want to do anything with my life but sleep in this bed with an alpaca blanket til the day I die. However I know that with Amanda in her course for 3 weeks straight all day, every day, that I will be very bored if I don't find something to do. And a dwindling  bank account is not the way to have a good time. 
Plaza de Armas

No comments:

Post a Comment